Nanotechnology is defined as the manipulation of matter which has at least one dimension that is sized from 1 to 100 nanometres. There is a wide use of nanotechnology in various fields. They have already been used in different products and also play an important role in various industries.
The various applications of nanotechnology:
- Nano composites: Nanotubes and nanoparticles are widely used in composites. The materials that combine one or more separate components which are designed to exhibit the best properties of each component. This multi – functionality will apply not only to the mechanical properties but also to the other magnetic, optical and electrical properties. The carbon fibres and bundles of the multi – walled CNTs are being used in polymers which are used to enhance or control the conductivity. Making use of the individual CNTs in the composites is a potential long – term application.
- Nano lubricants: The Nano spheres of the inorganic materials can be used as lubricants, which can act as Nano sized ball bearings. The controlled shape is considered to make them more durable as compared to the conventional solid lubricants and wear additives. It is also considered that this type of a lubricant is quite effective even if the metal surfaces are not very smooth. In this nanotechnology application, the particles would be dispersed in a conventional liquid lubricant. Also the design of the lubricant system needs to include measures to contain and then also mage the waste.
- Nano paints: when Nano particles are being incorporated into paints, they help in the improvement of their performance which makes them lighter or can also give them the other required properties. The thinner coatings of the paint that are used on the aircraft would help in reducing their weight which can prove to be a great advantage to the environment. There could also be reduction in the solvent contents of the paint which can be beneficial to the environment. Anti–fouling surface treatment is also considered to be valuable in the process applications. This could include the heat savings, this can lead to the savings of energy.
What are the advantages of nanotechnology?
- Manufacturing advantages: nanotechnology has already been making new materials that could help in revolutionize many areas in manufacturing. The nanoparticles and nanotubes are composed of materials that are very light and very strong which have insulating properties.
- Energy advantages: there can be transformation which is made by nanotechnology in which energy can be obtained and used for various purposes. Nanotechnology will make solar power which will be more economical as it helps in reducing the cost of construction of solar panels and all the other related equipment. The energy storage devices will become more efficient.
- Medical advantages: nanotechnology has great potential and can make great advances in the field of medicines too. Nano bots can be sent into the patient’s arteries which can be used in clearing away the blockages. Apart from that surgeries can also be done faster and more accurately.